5.20.2011

Day 2

Today's study is focused on Titus 1:5-1:9.  In this section Paul is laying out the guidelines to be an elder in the church of Crete.  Going through these guidelines it seems almost impossible to follow, but what most people expect their church leaders to be today.  In the commentary I was reading it said that it isn't known if this is a universal compliance, or a specific set of rules for Crete.  The commentary said that Crete had very low moral standards as a culture. 

My thinking is that most of American culture today has met that standard of very low morals.  So I truly think that these verses could be said about our churches today.  A church leader must meet these guidelines in order to properly teach people about God in a low moral culture.  Our churches are falling apart because our leaders and their families are not holding themselves to these guidelines in a culture that is quickly spiraling downwards. 

I'm no different.  I don't hold myself to this moral standard.  I'm no church leader but have thought in the past I should be one.  What is my calling in life?  If God wants me to be a leader in His church, then I really have to look at my life and see what I need to change.  I really wish today's church leaders could match up to these standards.  It would mean a lot less people looking at us and thinking God is a lie because of how we act.

No comments:

Post a Comment